Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The deaths of classmates

Getting older is just a fact of life. This year is the 35th anniversary of my graduation from high school. Numerous people got hold of me, but I cannot go because it is being held on the same weekend that my daughter is getting married in Tulsa.

The thing that struck me when I went to check out the website for it though, was the list of people that have died since we graduated. I can remember nearly all of them and some of them I had gone to school with from grade school through senior year. There are still a couple hundred students that have not been found from my graduating class, so the numbers may be much higher. Rest in Peace...

Lynda Becker Pitcher

Hope May Mason
Rita Burch

Dwight McWilliams
Barry Cotton

Felix Monroe
Jonathan Cross

Margaret Montgomery
Mary Foreman

James Neighbors
Dwight Harp

Richard Southerland
James Hendrick

Tammie Sullins
David Hess

Jana Troullier
Steve Hester

Pedro Velez
Bobby Hornbeck

Debbie Wilson Barker
Albert Anuska

Kent Ferris

I can still see most of their faces at 17 or 18 years old just as if it was yesterday, yet some of them, like Pedro Velez, died right after graduation and have been gone over 30 years already. Life is strange - who dies young and who doesn't...

No comments: